Gracias...Come Again

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Recap the Ontiveros "Emmy" Weekend...Day 3 ~ Sunday..

ok...so I had written a good portion of this earlier only to have the "blog gods" come and strike down on me...it all erased...so I'm starting over....

We last left off as I headed into Sunday...the day of the Emmy's....

This day started early for me...I woke up at 9 am and headed to the Ballys ...believe it or not I picked up a totally last minute diet last week and it produced a good result for the week....I worked out 5 days and stuck to the salad for lunch and dinner and lost a whopping 8 lbs....not suicidal or anything, but it helped...so I'm continuing it this week and so forth....

After the workout I headed to the store to pick up groceries for my lunch and on the way made all my phone calls that required attention for that evening...At 12 noon I spoke to Maria, Belinda, and Terry...made sure everything was in place....I also got a call from a very overworked Nick who asked me if I wanted to take part in the big "send off"...prom style...this was heading to his house to await the limo pickup and the final well wishes and all....gladfully I accepted....so he told me to be there by 2:30....I agreed...without knowing what was coming...

Immediately as I made it home I stopped by to talk to my mom and make sure to straighten her out too with the accomodations and all for the evening....she tells me her friend was taking her and I was happy....except for the fact that I had to detail her every move street by street just to make sure she got it right...then she tells me..."Que, crees que recien e llegado a este pais">..(what? you think I just arrived into this country")....ok....so on to the next thing....I quickly got ready to head over to Nicks...I was showered, ready, and at the door when I got a call....I couldn't believe this one....Now normally there's the calls that go straight to voice mail (you know the line: if your message is important than you'll leave a voice mail)....and then there's exceptions....and I was about to find out the limits of my exceptions to this rule....you would've thought I'd learned from Nalip Conference and the "Hughes Q&A" I missed earlier this year....guess again....my friends do come first....and that is the exception....

There's only a handful of names I was going to answer for....and the one that I had hoped wouldn't call was on that caller ID...."Maria Rojas".....why? of all people didn't I want to answer her call...well for one reason....Since she was coming to the party (invite by the producer, himself) I didn't want to have to be at the receiving end of a phone call where she explains "why she couldn't make it".....nor did I want to hear "come and get me"...remember she lives in Claremont (40 miles east of LA)...

All the luck in the world was not going to change what was coming next...Due to a very private matter I had no choice but to go pick her up at school....and asap at that....This little girl has the softest heart in the world and having her in tears is not something I like to hear coming from her....so I knew what I had to do....there I was heading out the door to claremont to picking her up from school....

To Have her meet me outside her dorm was the idea....all smiles I had hoped for....but my friend was in a full stream of tears....Something I don't know how to deal with is when a person is in "tears"....I think it's a guy thing...but even then I knew all I could do was stand there and be her support....I mean nothing else was an option at that moment....just being a friend....in the only way I know how....

Knowing the trip home was going to be a long one I decided to slow it down a bit....during which time I got calls from Elias and Nick in adding to their VIP list for the evening....I was ok with it...afterall if they can't add people, then no one else can..right?....nick attempted one last time to get me to the "send off" as the limo had not arrived..man, What a friend...he's a good kid with a big heart...couldve called anyone, but chose me.....with this invitation I figured this was a good way to distract Maria from her sadness....and so we sped overthere....afterall it was on the way, right?....well who could see what would come next....

One thing about me is the propensity to abserve all that happens in and around me at all times....I guess getting carjacked and kidnapped once in your lifetime makes you a little more aware than the rest....and for this I am thankful....As I began the transition from the 10 freeway to the 605 south I picked up ample speed to cross past the rest of merging traffic....upon doing so I witnessed an accident occuring on the tail of my car...seems the cars behind me where tangling up/spinning out of control in a 5-6 car accident and it missed me by inches....try centimeters....all I could see it was through that mirror as some sort of "die hard" action sequence involving car crashes and injury.....and for those split seconds time froze....

I finally pulled over and Maria got out to see the result...there were atleast 2 cars slammed against the center divider....2 cars had side swiped each other and 1 car had lost a tire....for the appearance it didn't look like anyone was hurt....so I drove away....I couldn't believe it...the rest of the day I was thinking of how Nick might've saved me from a horrible accident...had it not been for his call i wouldn't of sped up the few seconds it took me passed the collision.....

After this horrific sight I finally reached the Ontiveros house to no avail...the limo was literally turning the corner as it had left en route to the Emmys....damn!!...I missed it....

The rest of the time I took maria to the mall...and then lunch....and tried everything to cheer her up....there were signs of improvement....so then we finally headed to my house to get ready for the big party @ the Friars.....

We left the house about 7 and arrived in a conservative 30 minutes...half hour ahead of the scheduled meeting we were to have....the good thing about arriving early is the ample parking you find....and that I did...right in front of the location....not bad....

Now my part of the entire evening was to stand out and check people in as they'd come in....simple...nothing too tedious...Maria on the other hand was going to help me take some VIP's to the 3rd floor to interview for the media....this was preproduction blueprints....scrap them....here's the new plans....Miguel would now "walk through" any Ontiveros guest I could recognize and avoid the "new" girl with the check list from messing up....this turned out to be a "cake walk" for the simple fact that I knew 90% of the people on the list....needless to say I was enjoying the job...the girl in the front asked me at one point if I was Lupe's "publicist" at one point for everyone that walked up to me...this was easy... until LatinHeat decided that I might be having too much fun....

Seems they were not impressed with the girl behind the counter and my gaining control of the front was not something they'd give up easily...and as expected LatinHeat was coming to make trouble for me...this in the form of a very "control passioned" Brenda, Director of Operations of LH....this one felt the need to make her scene in front of the rest of the people...and "show" who's in charge...something I didn't care about...I just wanted to have the families and friends come in and enjoy the evening....Actually "the straw that broke the camels back" came in the form of a friend of Nicks, "Olga"....she had come in "claiming" to see me about getting in...well..that sounds fishy to anyone, I assume...but the good thing was that I had her name in a supplemental list I had for the names....this, mind you, was handed to me at 4pm..moments after the limo had departed to the show....and coming directly from the Ontiveros household....No way in hell LH would have the names on that list....sorry....

But what enraged me even worse was the fact that Bel, the LH editor, hadn't added my aunts RSVP from 3 days prior....surprised she added my moms name....and for this we (including myself) were suppose to be on the "friends of the Family" list....

For this I complained/threatened to pull my 2 assistants if Sal, the very cool event coordinator, didn't fix the situation...and get me an apology....

He must've said something because as soon as I ran into Brenda upstairs at the caterers...she apologized enough times to make me sick...and moreso, she wanted me to "not bring it up again to anyone"....sort of a hush-hush sort of attempt....well...see...this is where I bring it up to everyone and their mothers just for fun....but all with time....I think what they thought was that I'd raise enough drama to cause a rift between LH and Lupe for future events....and that's not something I'm about to do....especially after getting my apology....

I finally retreated to my table...and I thank my mom a million times over for holding the fort...but along the way met up with a ton of people...all thankful for the efforts we all made for the party....and they were right...this party was off the hook....

It's amazing how a party of great attendance takes shape when everyone knows what to do and does so....I think watching this development of events is what draws me to the production of a project...something I've been doing since 1990....

For the party we had a ton of great guest...most all of latino hollywood was there...most all of the ontiveros family on both sides were there....Enrique, Lupe's assistant was there...this guy could motivate a corpse....Nick, Elias, and Alex were there in all smiles...my mom was there...some of the friends who were there included: Yvette..Tery&Angel...Iliana with her trusty cam...and Maria, who did show signs of improvement, was there....I even ran into a friend of Alex who I hadn't seen since High School....the food was well catered Mexican...and Johnny Polanco moved that crowd to the beat....very magical night for the real guest of honor of the evening...Lupe....

SOme of the speeches were very touching...and very inspirational...enough to bring to tears most everyone in attendance when they played her Reel....

The moment for me came when three quarters into the event Maria teared up in front of me where I couldn't contain her....I tried my hardest to do and say everything possible, but nothing was working....finally we sat away from everyone and just had the best heart-to-heart conversation we could possibly have....I was a bit tipsy, but remember every last detail....And as we sat there, we were joined by Enrique and Iliana (with the Cam on)....and some of the best words a person could say to her finally came through....enrique without knowing any background into the entire day's events made some very inspiring conversation....and for the first time in 3 years you had the three of us (minus our cuban queen ~ Ruthie) together and in full spirits....Something I definitely had to have Iliana shoot...

We finally retreated to the 3rd floor where I decided to mingle with a few people right before close...took a pic at the very same pool table Frank Sinatra played on back in the 60's....at one point feeling a vibe in that room like he was lighting up a cigar....funny, too, the table is surrounded by white sand...apparently the sand sanitizes the air from pollutants left by smoke from the cigars....who knew???

In the bar area I met up with a few more people...smiled from ear to ear...and enjoyed the last of my Chardonnay to the company of Lydia (nicks cousin), who I was trying to convince to fly in for my Bday in Nov from El Paso....Miriam (Lupe's manager), who promised me lunch this week....Nick, Elias, Alex.....Lupe, herself, who was dead tired, but all smiles despite her not coming home with the award..sign of true class..(that's why we love her)...a very sleepy Maria...Yvette, who surprisingly stayed late....Iliana, who was dead tired....

and finally a very apologetic "Brenda" from LatinHeat....ahhh redemption....i tell ya!!...what alcohol does to the mind and body.....she was so apologetic, she had me at one point Undo her dress so I can re-tie the knot in the back....got a couple of howls from that one....but hey!!...I have to have fun somehow, right....

Finally staff coming in to end our party in a classy style....by kicking us out @ 3am....

A perfect end to a 99.9% perfect evening.....wouldn't you say?

well not exactly.....

I drove Maria 62 miles back to school..did it in a good 40 minutes.....where upon arriving, gave me a tour, showed me her dorm room, and let me right on her bulletin board.....

Does it end here....ahhh...no...

Finally making it out to Denny's on Whittier for the traditional 5am morning recap breakfast I always have with Nick after a big event....

I finally got home at 6:30....and now....my weekend ends....finally...

No work Monday...took the day off to rejoice...

see ya tomorrow!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
free hit counter
Free Hit Counter